Monday, June 22, 2009

World Superbike – Misano Race Review

The race at Misano saw Ben Spies off the pole for the first time this season. The American was still quick enough to start third on Sunday, but his time in the wet morning warm up was only 26th quickest. Due to wet conditions the first race was run under the new flag-to-flag rule so riders were allowed to change bikes during the race.

Shane Byrne dominated the first half of the race in the wet conditions, and as the track began to dry riders started to pit for bikes with a dry set up/tires. Spies switched bikes on lap 13 after spending most of the race in fourth behind Michel Fabrizio. Spies took the lead from Ruben Xaus on lap 17, and beat second place Shane Byrne to the flag by eight seconds, “I was running pretty good early in the wet and saw that it was going to dry quickly. That’s why I came in early to switch to the dry set up. It paid off big. That was one of the best runs through the field I’ve ever had.” Fabrizio finished ahead of polesitter Jakub Smrz to take third, and championship leader Noriyuki Haga finished fifth.

Race #1 Results

The track stayed dry for the second race so the riders started on dry tires. Haga took the early lead with Jonathan Rea and Fabrizio in hot pursuit. After a good start Spies began dropping down through the field with clutch problems. Meanwhile Rea, Fabrizio and Haga pulled a gap over the rest of the field. Haga stayed close, but Rea and Fabrizio ran wheel-to-wheel in the closing laps with the Irishman coming out on top to take his first win in World Superbike, "To win my first race in Italy here is really special for me before my home round next weekend at Donington. We switched suspensions, and tried them for the first time on Monday at Magny-Cours and the team all did a marvelous job to get me to win the race here. Michel came past but he couldn't outbrake me and that spared my bike from doing all the running. I could pass where I wanted to pass and I saved it to the last lap."

Haga had a solid third place finish, "I got a good start, but then Johnny and Michel passed me and it was hard to keep their pace. We have taken home some good points and that's important because Misano is not one of my favorite tracks." Spies managed to get his bike back up to speed and finished ninth, “The clutch was just fried. I couldn’t accelerate at all. It was slipping so bad I just had to baby it out of the turns. Then I adjusted the hell out of it for several laps, trying anything to make it work. It was difficult trying to race and work on the bike at the same time.”



John Hopkins practiced on Friday in an attempt to make his first start since his crash at Assen, "After yesterday's session I am feeling really sore. I got some painkillers before the session, but I think I just pushed it a bit too much. I am breaking away the scar tissue at the moment. It is just better for me to take it easy today and concentrate on tomorrow. I will be doing the warm up and then see what we can do for the race. This weekend for me is important to get the strength in my leg back up and to get ready for the next race at Donington." Hopkins didn’t ride in the morning warm up or either race.

Haga leads the championship by 48 points over Spies and 55 points over Fabrizio. The next race is on June 28th at Donington Park.

Speed Air Dates

Wed (6/24) – 3:00am (EST) Misano Race #1
Wed (6/24) – 4:00am (EST) Misano Race #2
 
Subscribe in a reader