Monday, July 13, 2009

World Superbike – News & Notes (Imola Test)

The World Superbike teams are in the middle of their mid-season break, and tomorrow they begin a three day official test at Imola. The San Marino circuit has undergone changes that include a new chicane on the main straight, new pit garages and media center. World Superbike will return to Imola on September 27th for the first time in three years.

A total of 22 riders are expected to a take part in the test with Max Neukirchner and Makoto Tamada riding for the first time since their first lap crashes at the Monza round. The test is expected to draw 22 riders, and will include the Yamaha, Ten Kate, BMW, Stiggy Racing and Aprilia teams. BMW, Stiggy and Aprilia all tested after the last round at Donington. Max Biaggi talked about Aprilia’s test at Brno, “We did get positive feedback, especially regarding the front suspension. I'm quite confident for the race at Brno at the end of the month. We've got another 20 days to work on the bike, this for us has more or less been the first real test since the start of the championship".

One of the riders who won’t be at the Imola test will be championship leader Noriyuki Haga. The Ducati rider is still recuperating from his crash at Donington that left him with injuries that included a fracture to the ulna bone in his right forearm and three minor cracks in his left scapula. Haga talked about the crash, "I remember everything clearly. I was in second place, I didn't want to settle for that position and I was thinking about the situation in the standings ... but maybe I was thinking a bit too much. When I saw that the bike was about to hit me full-on I thought: This is the end!" Haga is expected to be ready to defend his 14 point lead over Ben Spies in the next round at Brno.

Several Americans have raced in this year’s championship, and both Ben Spies and John Hopkins have full time rides in the series. Jamie Hacking raced at three rounds this year and he’s hoping for a full time ride in the future, “I would love to be in the World Superbike paddock. I've not been blown away, and I came in here knowing that these were A-class riders - it's unbelievable how many there are! Despite some of the mistakes that have been made, I think I have done fairly well. If we got a little more familiar with the machine, we'd be a bit better. It's hard to race around some of the race tracks, they are really demanding. It's like going on track and being held at gunpoint because you have got to go fast straight away! I'm enjoying it 100 percent and I really want to be here.”

The next round of the championship will take place at Brno in the Czech Republic on July 26th.

Wednesday - Overall Times - Fabrizio quickest

Thursday - Overall Times - Rea quickest

Neukirchner Fractures Vertebrae at Imola Test
 
Subscribe in a reader